University of Freivswald in Germany (Ernst Moritz Arndt University Greifswald) The University of Freivswald was established in 1456, the University of Freivswald is located in the city of Freifswald, it is also one of the oldest German universities in Central Europe, and is also the second oldest university in the Baltic Sea region; due to the different regional affiliation of West Pomerania, it is the fourth oldest university that exists permanently in the Federal Republic of Germany, it is the oldest university in Sweden (1648-1815) and Prussia (1815-1947) temporarily, due to its wide range of subjects, It is a comprehensive university, so in today's article we will talk about the University of Freifswald.
ماذا سوف تتعلم
Specialties of the University of Freifswald
About two-thirds of the 10,400 students come from outside the state of Mecklenburg-Vorpommern to study in Freifswald, including many Erasmus students and other international students from more than 90 countries, so it has a lot of specializations:
- Agriculture, Forestry and Environment Journalism and Media Public Health Human Medicine and Dentistry Social Sciences and Humanities.
- Applied sciences, art, music, design, linguistics, cultural studies, economics, business administration, psychology, psychiatry and computer engineering.
Location of the University of Freifswald
It is a public research university located in Freifswald, Germany in the state of Mecklenburg-Vorpommern.
- Founded in 1456 (teaching has existed since 1436, it is one of the oldest universities in Europe, with generations of alumni and eminent staff who have studied or worked in Friefswald.
- The University of Freifswald is the fourth oldest university in present-day Germany, and was also the oldest university in the kingdoms of Sweden (1648-1815) and Prussia (1815-1945) respectively.
- Nearly two-thirds of the 10,179 students are from outside the country, including international students from 90 countries around the world.
- Due to the vitality of the small town, the obvious architectural presence of the mother pain throughout the city, and the young university taste on the streets.
- Freifswald is often described as a "university with a city built around it" rather than a city with a university, being a broad research community, the university aims to expand its academic links globally.
History of the University of Freifswald
The University of Freivswald on October 17, 1456 with the consent of the Holy Roman Empire and the Pope, this was achieved thanks to the great commitment of the Mayor of Freifswald, Heinrich Rubino, who was also to become the first President of the University.
With the support of the Duke of Wartislav IX of Pomerania and Bishop Henning Evin of the local St. Nicholas Cathedral.
It was founded in the local cathedral, which was later redesigned by Caspar David Friedrich and his brother and can still be visited today.
The university was founded by a decree restricting the teaching activity of the University of Rostock (founded in 1419).
Many professors left Rostock for Freifswald in order to continue their work there, where Heinrich Rubino took the opportunity to establish his own university.
Originally, the university consisted of four traditional departments: theology, philosophy, medicine and law.
Information about the University of Freifswald
At the end of the Middle Ages, the University of Freifswald was one of the most important scientific centers of the Duchy of Pomerania.
The remaining schools in Pomerania, including those in Szczecin and Stargard, did not have university status at the time.
Currently in Germany there are only three older universities depending on the years of existence: the University of Heidelberg (founded in 1386), the University of Leipzig (1409) and the University of Rostock (1419).
International cooperation with other institutions of higher education in Northern Europe was already present in the early years, initiated and accelerated by the transnational business network Hanse.
From 1456 to 1526, 476 Scandinavian attended the University of Freifswald, and 22 faculty members as well as six deans came from Scandinavia.
This was a relatively high percentage of the total student population at the time, sources point to the relatively separate life of Swedish students at a predominantly German-themed university.
The beginning of the sixteenth century saw great cooperation between the university, the Lutheran Church, the city and the Duchy of Pomerania.
Professors of theology served at the same time as pastors in the three cathedrals, and professors of medicine were usually the personal doctors of the Duke.
Law professors also worked in local courts while professors of the Faculty of Philosophy generally taught the sons and daughters of the ducal family.
The nobility also funded university-related purposes such as scholarships and scholarships for students to study within Germany, and the reform was introduced at the university in 1539.
Johannes Bognhagen, a university graduate, was an important figure in the German and Scandinavian Reformation as well as a good friend of Martin Luther.
After secularizing the Eldina monastery near Freifswald, the Duke of Philip I of Pomerania donated all the income generated by Elena's secularism to the university.
His successor, Duke Ernest Ludwig, began construction of the college building, which could not have been completed until after his death.
Duke Philip Julius wore an academic dress that until recently was used by the Rector of the University for ceremonial occasions.
Freifswald University Library
The roots of the Freifswald University Library go back to 1456, and in 1604, Germany's first central university library was established in the city of Freifswald, today there are two main libraries, the Central University Library located on the Pitzplatz campus and the Department Library on the Loefflerstraße campus, in addition to the main libraries, many departments and institutes have their own libraries.
- The university signed a contract with a book printer in Wittenberg, Germany for 2,000 golden, which lasted for nearly a century due to the problems of the Thirty Years' War (1618–1648).
- Thus, the university now has prestigious early publications by authors and printers such as Johannes Gutenberg or Thomas Thoryld.
- The expression cuius regio, eius Religiousio applied to the result of the Protestant Reformation, is attributed to the jurist Joachim Stephanie (1544–1623) of the University of Freiveswald in the early seventeenth century.
- After the Peace of Westphalia in 1648, the western part of Pomerania, including Freifswald and its university, became a fiefdom retained by Sweden.
- 1806–1815 was an official part of Sweden, without losing its character as a German university altogether, it was heavily influenced by Swedish educational policies until 1815.
- Especially during the second half of the eighteenth century, Freifswald was a cultural and scientific bridge between Germany and Sweden, and more than 1,500 Swedes studied at the University of Freifswald.
- The first English-language university course was held in Germany in Greifswald in 1777.
- The main administrative building that is still in use today during the "Swedish Good Years" was built by Andreas Meyer, a mathematician by profession, in the German Baroque style.
Study at the University of Freifswald
As is usual in Germany, the academic year is divided into two semesters.
- Winter lasts from October to March.
- The summer season lasts from April to September.
- During the winter semester, teaching generally takes place from mid-October until the end of January – the rest is reserved for exams and essay writing.
- Teaching continues during the summer semester from mid-April to mid-July.
- Besides teaching and research, one of the main tasks of the University is to collaborate with partners outside the University itself.
- The University's research focus lies in the fields of plasma physics, landscape ecology, medicine, biotechnology, the Middle Ages, and the languages and cultures of the Baltic Sea littoral countries.
You can also get to know the University of Dresden