Questions about studying in Germany

In this article you will find some frequently asked questions about international students who want to study in Germany, if you have any question about studying in Germany, whether it is about admission to German universities, tuition fees in Germany, applying for a visa or scholarships in Germany be sure to browse this article, you will probably find an answer to your question, here are common questions about studying in Germany and their answers.

Questions about studying in Germany
Questions about studying in Germany

Can I study for free in Germany?

As of 2014, all German public universities offer free education to all domestic and foreign students, meaning that anyone from anywhere in the world can study for free at German public universities at the bachelor's level (you will only pay a nominal application fee of around $300 per semester).

For graduate students, tuition fees are always available, but you can avoid these fees if you graduate from a German university within the past few years, if you graduate from a university outside Germany, you will be classified as low-achieving and you will have to pay about $12,000 per semester to study at a prestigious university.

What qualifications do universities in Germany offer?

All German universities offer internationally recognised degrees.A Bachelor of Arts degree (Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Science) A bachelor's or bachelor's degree usually takes about 6 semesters (three years) to complete and is one of the most common bachelor's degrees.

As for postgraduate studies, a master's degree or a master of science, a master or a master's degree, takes about two to four semesters (1-2 years), while the PhD takes about four to six semesters, i.e. about 2-3 years, and some German universities offer more specialized degrees.

Which is better to study in Germany or France

What are the admission requirements to study in Germany?

To study in Germany, you must have a "high school diploma for university enrollment" or the so-called "Hochschulzugangsberechtigung – HZB", this certificate can take several forms, especially for foreign students who have obtained certificates of qualification for admission to the university from another country.

For prospective international students, a high school diploma, school graduation certificate, or university entrance exam are usually sufficient.

For postgraduate programmes, students must present an undergraduate degree, usually, if your qualifications are sufficient to enter higher education in your home country, it will be sufficient for you to undertake postgraduate studies in Germany.

If you find that your qualifications are not recognized, you can also take a preparatory course at the "Studienkolleg" before taking a mandatory assessment test called "Feststellungprüfung", which will cover topics related to the programme you wish to study and will also prepare you for university.

If you want to enroll in a program taught in German (the language adopted in most undergraduate programmes in Germany), you will need to prove your proficiency in German.

In addition to your proficiency in German and your admission qualifications, you must also meet certain requirements to enter the university of your choice.

These requirements depend on the reputation of that university or program, and you can find this information by checking the program page on the university's website.

Study in Germany or Canada

Do I have to speak German?

The language of instruction at most German universities is German.All students enrolled in programs taught in German must have excellent knowledge of the language, through various language exams or through preparatory courses.

Among the accepted language tests, DSH (German language test for university admission for foreign students), TestDaF (German test as a second language), GDS (Goethe-Institut diploma) and DSD (German diploma), Permanent Conference of the Ministry of Education and Culture, Level II).

If your knowledge of German is limited, you should consider programs taught in English, there are an increasing number of programs taught in English at German universities, especially at the graduate level.  

If English is not your first language, you may need to provide proof of English proficiency through the TOEFL or IELTS test, if you choose a university that requires it, you will be included in the list of documents required for admission "Proof of your English proficiency".

How can I apply to universities in Germany?

The application process varies from university to university.So be sure to familiarize yourself with the information provided by your chosen university before submitting your application.

If you cannot find the admission requirements for the program you wish to apply to or if you do not know how to apply, visit the University's International Information Office (Akademisches Auslandsamt) and read the information on the website or contact the office directly, there should be staff to provide support and advice on any topic related to international student applications.

Typically, they will ask you to include these documents with your application:

  • A certified copy of your qualifications for university entry (e.g. high school diploma) and any other qualifications relevant to the original language.
  • A translated copy of your grade sheet and course outline (topic description/subject vocabulary).
  • Personal photo.
  • A copy of your passport (for the personal information page and personal photo).
  • Proof of language proficiency (online exam certificate or equivalent).

For most German public universities, the winter semester application process starts in early May and ends in mid-July, while the summer semester, the application period runs from December to mid-January, you can expect formal acceptance or rejection about one to two months after the application deadline.

To ensure the best chance of admission, be sure to submit all required documents, make sure all documents are notarized (copies of documents must also be notarized by the donor), and make sure you fill in all your details correctly before you save papers.

Do I need a German study visa to study in Germany?

It depends on your nationality, if you have the citizenship of a European country or the European Free Trade Area, you do not need a visa.

If you have citizenship from one of the following countries: Australia, New Zealand, the United States, Canada, Japan, South Korea or Switzerland, you do not need a visa, but you must apply for a residence permit when you arrive in Germany.

Brazilian or Taiwanese citizenship and some other non-Arab countries need a visa only if they still exist at work in Germany after the end of their studies.

With respect to the rest of the countries (including Arab countries), you must apply for a visa at least three months before your supposed trip.

Where can I study in Germany?

There are around 42 international universities in Germany in the QS University Rankings, which means you have a wide choice of separate universities to choose from.

If you want to study in famous and large cities, think Berlin and Munich, ranked second in the best cities in the world for students, but there are many parts of Germany offering many students at all scientific and social levels, including North Rhine-Westphalia and containing cities such as Düsseldorf (capital), and Cologne, Baden-Württemberg, which contains Stuttgart, which contains Stuttgart, Bavaria, which includes Munich, Hess, where Frankfurt, Lower Saxony is home to Hanover, Saxony and is located Here is the city of Dresden and finally, the state of Hamburg and the city.